Canada Student Visa Requirements For Nigerian Students
Canadian Universities are ranked in top 100 worldwide and over 100,000 international students enrolled last year. Canada offers a high quality, research oriented education which is recognised worldwide. The country has is frequently acknowledged as one of the safest, most secure and multicultural environments for international students. Most schools are less expensive than in the US and the UK, which makes them even more attractive for students.
Canadian Student Permit
In order to study in Canada, all Nigerian students need a visa. It is called a Student Permit and can be obtained in your home country provided all documents and the application satisfy requirements at the Canadian Visa Application Centre. With the Government’s International Education Strategy set to double the number of full-time international students to 450,000 by 2022, it is one of the most welcoming study abroad destinations at present.
Student Permit Procedures
CVAC – Canadian Visa Application Centre is an exclusive service provider for the Government of Canada, authorised to accept applications in all temporary resident categories including study permits in Nigeria. There are four key documents which students will need to provide for their application:
- Proof of acceptance
- Proof of identity
- Proof of financial support
- Letter of explanation
The document checklist for a study permit is a one page guide which can help Nigerian students avoid any delays in Canadian visa application, in brief these are:
- Application for a study permit
- Valid passport and two recent passport photographs
- Letter of acceptance from a college or university in Canada
- Scholarships or any financial assistance from the school or award from a government
- Academic certificates, diplomas and transcripts for all previous schools you attended
- Proof that you have enough funds to support yourself for your entire stay in Canada
- Payment of tuition fees (not required at time of application submission – after positive processing proof of tuition payment may be required prior to the issuance of a visa)
- Medical clearance
- Letter from your employer or sponsoring organization if you are being sponsored
- Application processing fee payment (currently $150 CAN)
Tip: English language test results are normally required as part of your school application and some universities may ask for a GRE (Graduate Record Examinations) test, so it is a good idea to check with the admissions office in advance.